Photo credit and recipe adapted from Salwa Smaily
This date and walnut cake is a real teatime treat - moist sponge dotted with dates and walnuts, topped with a creamy frosting.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time 1 hr
250 g pitted dates (diveded 180 g and 70 g)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 3/4 cup whole grain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup milk
- 100 g chopped walnuts divided 50 g and 50 g
For the glaze:
- 3 tbs tahini
- 2 tbs Date Syrup
- So first soak 180 g dates in hot water for 5 mins and drain well.
- In a food processor blend the dates with milk until you have a paste.
- Put this paste in a large bowl
- Add yogurt, olive oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well until combined
- Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamond and mix.
- Fold in 50 g chopped walnuts and 70 g chopped dates
- Pour the mixture in a baking form 20 cm~ brushed with tahini or a little bit of oil or butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 30 min.
- Wait to cool. Then add the tahini molasses glaze on the top and sprinkle 50 g chopped walnuts.